Spring is in full swing and summertime will be here before you know it. Are your legs ready for bikini weather? Not only can spider veins and varicose veins can ruin your beach-bound look, they can also lead to leg health issues. Whether you live in Jacksonville, Jax Beach, Ponte Vedra or Atlantic Beach, use these tips to banish spider veins and enjoy more attractive and healthier legs.
Banish Spider Veins
Getting rid of spider and varicose veins is one thing. Keeping them from coming back is quite another, especially during the summer. The sun’s rays can weaken the skin’s upper layers, sapping its moisture and diminishing its elasticity. This limits the ability of both the skin and the veins just below the skin’s surface to move properly. As a result, the veins cannot keep blood flowing as normal. Frequent exposure to high temperatures can cause blood vessels to expand, placing more stress on valves in the veins. This results in blood pooling backward with no place to go, creating spider veins and varicose veins.
Luckily, there are ways to protect your skin from the sun’s damaging rays:
- S – Slather on the sun block. But don’t stop with your legs. Also apply sun block on your face and nose, where thinner skin is prone to developing spider veins.
- U – Under a tree, beach umbrella, gazebo or other shady spot is the best place to enjoy the fresh air while protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- M – Moisturizers with high SPFs help protect your skin when you’re not wearing full sun block.
- M – Material! Bikinis don’t have much, of course. To protect the spider vein-prone skin on your legs, wear a matching sarong while you’re lounging or walking the beach.
- E – Exercise to keep your blood pumping. Opt for cooling exercises like swimming, surfing and brisk evening walks. The coolness helps keep blood vessels from dilating and pushing against your skin’s surface.
- R – Refresh with a cool drink of water throughout the day. Fluids help keep your blood volume and blood pressure at a healthy level.
We know you care about your legs and we do to. Make sure you are doing a combination of these tips to protect your legs from the sun and from spider veins.