If you are feeling self conscious about the appearance of your legs and are reluctant to bare them on the beach, you may be wondering if your legs are ready for summer. We are here to help. With a few lifestyle changes and perhaps even treatments, you can be swimsuit ready for summer. Don’t let issues that are simple to fix prevent you from enjoying the beach, pool and good times outside with family and friends this summer.
How to Improve Leg Appearance
- Exercise to tone, tighten and improve the strength of your legs with some simple exercises you can do at home. Women’s Health Magazine just released 7 exercise moves for lean, sexy legs.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen while walking, at the beach or lounging by the pool. Also, a self tanner can give you a nice tan appearance without the sun damage.
“Extended exposure to the sun’s powerful UV rays weakens the skin’s upper layers, diminishing its moisture and elasticity,” explains Dr. James St. George, vein specialist and founder of Jacksonville’s St. Johns Vein Center. “This can tighten the skin which makes it less moveable. As a result, the veins at the skin’s surface also can’t move, and neither can the blood in those veins.”
- If you have unsightly varicose or spider veins, please call our office to schedule a complimentary vein screen. You may be a candidate for vein treatment that can reduce the appearance of varicose, spider and blue veins.
How to Improve Leg Health
- If you have restless legs, leg pain, swelling, or numbness in your legs please call our office to schedule a complimentary vein screen. You may be a candidate for vein treatment that can improve how your legs feel and your overall well-being.
- Walk to improve circulation. Don’t have time for a full exercise routine? Just walk. You could even multi-task by getting out of your chair and walking during cell phone conversations to get the blood pumping and improve circulation. Ideally, you would fit in a 20 minute walk every day.
- Nutrition is vital to improve leg health. In the same ways that nutrition plays a role in cardiovascular health, nutrition plays a role in vascular health. The foods that are good for your heart are also good for your veins and legs. Incorporate fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low fat foods into your meal plan.